It goes without saying that tourism drives the economy in Las Vegas, with millions of visitors flocking to the city each year. In fact, Las Vegas welcomed 39.67 million visitors in 2013, which generated more than $45 billion in economic impact for the local economy and supported more than 380,000 local jobs. This was the second highest visitation total ever. The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority expects that momentum will continue to grow, as the city is anticipating several new resorts and attractions to debut in 2014. Scheduled openings of The LINQ and High Roller, SLS Las Vegas, Delano Las Vegas, Caesars Entertainment’s new resort – The Cromwell, and the downtown zipline SlotZilla among other attractions are expected to bring not only an increase in visitors, but also in jobs.
With that being said, let’s take a look at the top businesses to work for in Las Vegas – many of which are in the tourism industry. While this is not a comprehensive list, it will certainly give you a better idea of some of the area’s top employers and where to begin your job search when relocating to Las Vegas. We’ve based this list on number of employees, number of local offices or locations, and the year the business was established.
Las Vegas Job Opportunities: Top 10 Businesses to Work for in Las Vegas
- Supervalu: Supervalu is a grocery industry leader, with more than 3,400 owned, licensed, franchised and affiliated stores across the country. Approximately 67 locations can be found throughout Las Vegas and the surrounding areas. Their blend of hard discount, traditional supermarkets and price superstores provides shoppers with options that are right for them – reaching millions of families each year. Supervalu employs approximately 4,024 employees in the area.
- The Valley Health System: Established in 1972, the Valley Health System employees more than 5,200 people at five locations throughout Las Vegas. The system includes Centennial Hills Hospital Medical Center, Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center, Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center, Summerlin Hospital Medical Center and Valley Hospital Medical Center. Their company prides itself on offering patients a team-centered approach to medicine and to giving employees an opportunity to grow within one of Las Vegas’ premier companies.
- Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas: Founded in 2010, the Cosmopolitan has quickly grown to employ more than 5,300 people at its location along Las Vegas Boulevard. Offering a wide array of hotel and casino jobs, they fondly refer to their employees as “CoStars.”
- Walmart Stores: Based in Bentonville, Arkansas, the Walmart Corporation employs more than 6,400 people at 39 locations throughout Las Vegas and the surrounding areas. Established in 1990, Walmart has quickly grown its presence throughout the community and offers careers ranging from part-time employment to mid-level and senior career opportunities.
- Las Vegas Sands Corporation: Established in 1990, Las Vegas Sands is a hotel and casino operator that employs more than 8,600 people at two locations – The Venetian (1999) and The Palazzo (2007). Offering luxury and recreation, the Palazzo property also boasts being the largest LEED-certified building on the planet. Careers range from hotel and casino to management and tourism.
- Boyd Gaming Corporation: Founded in 1974, Boyd Gaming is a household name in the Las Vegas community, with more than 9,350 employees working at nine different locations throughout the city. Properties include the Orleans, Gold Coast, Suncoast, Sam’s Town, California, Fremont, Main Street, Jokers Wild, and Eldorado. While being one of the leading companies in the gaming industry, Boyd Gaming prides itself on keeping the culture and feel of a family-owned business. They boast 22 gaming facilities in eight states.
- Wynn Resorts: Another of the most prominent names in the Las Vegas community, Wynn Resorts operates two locations in Las Vegas, which employ more than 11,700 people. Founded in 2005, the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore properties feature two luxury hotel towers with a total of 4,748 hotel rooms, suites and villas, approximately 186,000 square feet of casino space, 34 food and beverage outlets, an 18-hole golf course, a Ferrari and Maserati dealership, approximately 96,000 square feet of retail space, three nightclubs and a beach club. Careers with Wynn Resorts are plentiful and diverse.
- Station Casinos, LLC: Employing more than 13,000 people at 18 different locations, Station Casinos was founded in 1976. Today, the company operates the widest selection of hotels in Las Vegas with more than 4,000 affordable hotel rooms. Jobs at Station Casinos are primarily hotel and casino related.
- Caesars Entertainment Group: One of the longest-running entertainment groups in Las Vegas, Caesars Entertainment was founded in 1966 and employs more than 27,800 people in Las Vegas at ten different locations – including The Cromwell, the Strip’s first boutique hotel. Caesars also represents brands such as Harrah’s, Bally’s, Paris, Planet Hollywood, Horseshoe and more.
- MGM Resorts International: The largest employer in Las Vegas, MGM Resorts employ more than 54,000 people at fourteen locations throughout the city. The company prides itself on offering careers for everyone – from those just starting out to senior management and corporate positions. Making its debut in Las Vegas in 1986, the company continues to be a driving factor in the local economy.
These are just a few of the many employers that offer careers in Las Vegas. Whether you’re interested in learning more about these companies or would like to learn more about Las Vegas and its suburbs, please do not hesitate to contact our team today. From South Highlands Las Vegas homes for sale to cosmopolitan condominiums along the Strip, we stand ready to assist you. We invite you to browse our sold properties to learn more and welcome you to contact us with any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you soon!